Tuesday, January 2, 2018

#MustReadin2018


It's time to make a new list.  A 2018 reading list!  A new year full of possibilities and lots of great reads...thanks, Carrie Gelson, for helping us make goals for our reading lives!  I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately and look forward to revitalizing my book list. I don't feel like myself if I'm not enjoying a bunch of good reads, so here we go...

1.
Empower: What Happens When Student Own Their Learning

This is going to be my first book of the year.  I just joined the online book study led by John Spencer, and one of the districts where I work will be using it as a gifted professional development book study.

2.

Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student

Another John Spencer book!  I'm reading it with my colleagues as a book study.

3.
Little Fires Everywhere

I've heard great things about this book in several places, including my book club friend and former colleague, Becky, so I'm putting it on the list!  It'll be a February read for our book club!

4.
The Creativity Project: An Awesometastic Story Collection

Excited about Colby's first book!

5.
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

I have this waiting on my Overdrive to listen to - it's next up!

6.
Lemons

I'm currently listening to this charming middle grade novel, so it will definitely get read!

7.
Beyond the Bright Sea

I loved Wolf Hollow so much that I can't wait to read this new Wolk title!

8.
Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers

This is another one waiting for me on Overdrive.  I listened to most of it, then had to return it because it had holds.  I'll be getting back to it soon.

9.
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1)

My friend, Annie, loved this book and recommended it.

10.
The Story of Arthur Truluv

I haven't read an Elizabeth Berg novel for a while; this one looks good!

11.
The Stars Are Fire

A new Anita Shreve book and one recommended by my friend, Megan - it's waiting on my Overdrive.

12.
Moxie

I thought this looked like a good possibility for my high school girls' book club!

13.
Girl Rising: Changing the World One Girl at a Time

I've had this in my book bag for a while - I love Tanya Lee Stone's books, and this looks like a powerful one!

14.
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)

I read Throne of Glass over the summer and would love to continue the series!

15.
Passionate Readers: The Art of Reaching and Engaging Every Child

I'd love to read this new one by Pernille Ripp!

16.

Devotions: The Selected Poems of Mary Oliver

I love Mary Oliver!

17.
The Lake House

Targeting this one for summer!

18.
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

I've had this on  my shelf for a while; I bought it after loving A Man Called Ove.

19.
Lilac Girls

I've heard lots of great things about this one!

20.
Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder

This one is on the NYT Best 10 2017 Books - I'm a huge fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder!

21.
Sing, Unburied, Sing

Also on the 2017 NYT list, this title appealed to me.

22.
The Shadow Cipher (York, #1)

Looks like an exciting beginning to a new middle grade series!

23.
The Way to Bea

This was on the Nerdies Middle Grade Fiction list.  Looks good - the premise intrigued me.

24.
Posted
Another one on the Nerdie Middle Grade Fiction list!

25.
Advancing Differentiation: Thinking and Learning for the 21st Century

I am involved in a district book study for gifted professional development with this one.

26.
Far from the Tree

I saw this title on a couple recommended YA lists.  I love the cover!

27.
It Ends with Us

Every reading list needs a good romance, right?  This recommendation came from one of my book club friends, Becky.

28.
Saints for All Occasions

A recommendation from my mom!

29.
The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane

I always enjoy Lisa See's books.  My friend, Megan, recommended this one.

30.
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness

My friend, Annie, loved this one, and I gave it to my daughter, Libby, for Christmas.  She thought it was incredible!

31.
Britt-Marie Was Here

Another Backman book!  My colleague, Karen, and friend Kim recommended it.

32.
Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body

This one looks fascinating and showed up on several "Best Of" lists.

33.
Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)

I've been wanting to read this young adult novel since it won the 2017 Printz Honor.

34.
Supergifted

I enjoyed Ungifted and look forward to this sequel!

35.

The Book That Matters Most

This was recommended by a friend and former colleague, Mel.  It looks really good!

Whew!  Wow.  I could probably go on, but this is plenty!  Can't wait to start reading!

9 comments:

  1. I've read some, really enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye, and have others you've chosen on my list, too. There are so many I'm looking forward to. Happy Reading, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some list! Wow! I didn't do too well with my list last year, so I'm not sure I'll post one, but I am making a list in my notebook. I loved Beyond the Bright Sea and Harold Frye and got the Creativity Project at NCTE. I hope you will post updates as you finish these. I have some credits on Audible and should put some aside there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some fantastic reads on your list. I read Sing Unburied Sing last year and it just blew me away. I carried those characters around with me for a week after finishing it. Just reading the title reminds me of them. I purchased a copy of My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry as a Christmas present for myself. I probably should have added it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends said the same thing about Sing Unburied Sing!

      Delete
  4. What a great list! I was excited to join this challenge as well. Here is mine: https://wp.me/p8BwQK-8m

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a list! Enjoy Beyond the Bright Sea - it was one of my favourites this year. Love that you included Colby's book here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Rachel Joyce's book on Harold Fry and then I discovered her second: The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy. A must read. A great list of books here - will add many to my growing TBR

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only book on your list I've read is Hunger. It's memorable, for sure.

    ReplyDelete