Thursday, April 14, 2016

Spiritual Journey Thursday - Where Two or Three are Gathered...

 I look forward to Thursdays when I can publish thoughts on my spiritual journey and hear the thoughts of others on a weekly basis.  It has become a space for an encouraging and fortifying community to come together.  We welcome anyone who would like to join us!
 
This is an odd week.  It's the first week since January that we aren't writing about someone's OLW, so I'm a little lost!  What should I write about?  After some careful thought, I realized there were a couple things that happened today that were important...
 
 
Image from http://ww5.komen.org/WhatWeDo/IntheCommunity/AssistingCommunityHealthNeeds/AssessingCommunityHealthNeeds.html


 
     I am an introvert.  I'm a social introvert (if that makes sense), but by the Myers & Briggs definition of an introvert, I get my energy from being alone or from a small group of people.  Large group events, even though I enjoy them, are usually draining.  I tend to be friends with introverts, also.  Social introverts, but still introverts. That's not to say we don't like a good party, but parties can be exhausting.  We need a little alone/small group time to re-energize.  Anyway, you probably know the whole Myers Briggs thing. 
 
   That being said, Jesus obviously understood both extroverts and introverts (He spent time alone to pray, and I would guess, reenergize), but when all is said and done, He made humans to be together.  We are meant to share struggles, successes, and life.  We were not meant to be isolated.  Sometimes, I think we feel so  overwhelmed by life that we hesitate to let other people in.  We think we are all alone with our issues, experiences, and difficulties.  But we're not.  The human condition is eerily the same.  That's why music, art, and literature are so important - they connect us to each to other.  So if you're feeling like you're better off laying low or not sharing your experiences (because you might be an introvert, and by all means, spend time alone when you need to), think again.  We can only make it though this crazy life by reaching out, loving each other, and making connections.  We can help each other.  The rewards are great!

For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them. - Matthew 18:20
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I am an introvert, too. Yesterday I spent the day with 6th graders and some of my colleagues. By the end of the day, I was exhausted and needed to sit alone for a while. These gatherings are good and important, but I crave time alone. It's taken me a long time to learn this about myself. I don't question it anymore. I've accepted the truth of it. I don't avoid gatherings (not all of them), but I know my limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I went back and tweaked the post a bit because I didn't mean to imply you shouldn't EVER take alone time to recharge. You definitely should!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, Holly! I know exactly what you're talking about. And I too have come to peace with my introvertedness... but still struggle on days like today, when like you I wasn't sure what to post and shared something that felt almost too personal. It's wonderful to be on this spiritual journey with understanding friends like all of you in this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, there are more introverts out here in teacher/writer/blogger land than I realized. I often struggle with writings that say too much that is personal. I've always been aware of and sometimes struggled with being introverted. I'm okay with it though and make a point of jumping "outside the box", and meeting new people - it's not the same as being shy! Humans do need each other. What a blessing it is to be a part of this group!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading everyone's comments since yesterday (I have not had a chance to read all the posts), I am convinced that our Spiritual Journey Thursday community are filled with like-minded individuals who are united in spirit. I feel that this day you have established, Holly, is a breather during a week filled with the temporal side of life. Every community is filled with unique identities. I am more of the extrovert that also seeks reflection time.

    ReplyDelete