Thursday, January 1, 2015

Favorite Books of the Year 2014


I wrote about my favorite nonfiction picture books of the year in my Nonfiction Wednesday post.  This is a list of all my other favorites.  I read 313 books in 2014, and it was another wonderful year for great titles.  Of course, I'm still working on reading books published in 2014, so this is definitely not a comprehensive list! 
 
I apologize for not linking up each title.  The INDIEBOUND website wasn't cooperating this afternoon.  If you'd like to know more about each one, just search the title on my blog (search engine on top left), and you can read the links, reviews, and sometimes videos on any of the titles you'd like.  Most of them will show up on a "It's Monday!  What Are You Reading" post.
 
FAVORITE ADULT BOOKS
 
The Invention of Wings The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
 
FAVORITE MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS
 
Nightingale's Nest
 
Half a Chance
 
The Night Gardener
 
The Red Pencil
 
The Secret Hum of a Daisy
 
Revolution
 
The Meaning of Maggie
 
Circa Now
 
Brown Girl Dreaming
 
A Snicker of Magic
 
The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3)
 
Manhunt

The Crossover

Death by Toilet Paper

Absolutely Almost
 
FAVORITE YOUNG ADULT BOOKS
 
I'll Give You the Sun
 
Noggin
 
The Summer of Letting Go
 
The Living (The Living, #1)
 
We Were Liars

I Kill the Mockingbird
 
FAVORITE FICTION PICTURE BOOKS
Nonfiction favs posted in a previous Nonfiction Wednesday post
 
Nana in the City
 
Quest
 
What Do You Do with an Idea?
 
Emily's Blue Period
 
Extraordinary Jane
 
The Girl and the Bicycle
 
The Most Magnificent Thing
 
Firefly July A Year of Very Short Poems
 
Sparky!
 
Henny
 
The Lion and the Bird
 
Gaston
 
Blizzard
 
Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads
 
Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
 
 
FAVORITE AUDIO BOOKS
 
The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights | [Steve Sheinkin]
 
The Crossover | [Kwame Alexander]
 
Landline | [Rainbow Rowell]
 
FAVORITE BOOKS READ THIS YEAR, BUT PUBLISHED IN A PREVIOUS YEAR
 
The Giver Quartet (The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son)
 
Words with Wings
 
The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain
 
The Boy on the Wooden Box
 
Matilda
 
Almost Home
 
The Mad Potter: George E. Ohr, Eccentric Genius
 
The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest—and Most Surprising—Animals on Earth
 
Little Bee
 
Relish: My Life in the Kitchen
 
The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)
 
Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie
 
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
 
Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)
 
What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms, and Blessings
 
 I can't wait to see what 2015 brings!

3 comments:

  1. Lots to love about this list. I have Cira Now and The Nightingale's Nest on my table. Can't decide which to read next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a hard choice!! Both are wonderful in different ways.

      Delete
  2. You read some really good ones! I just finished A.J Fikry last night! LOVED it! Snicker of Magic makes me spindiddly happy! Also, Matilda is my favorite Roald Dahl book. I want to be Miss Honey.

    ReplyDelete