Thursday, July 17, 2014

Spiritual Journey Thursday - You Don't Have to Try So Hard


     Hello, friends! I 'm so glad you're participating in Spiritual Journey Thursday - either in linking up or reading, commenting, or all three.  I love to hear your thoughts!
 
You may have seen this video come through on social media this week.  I saw it on Facebook (I think Katherine Sokolowski shared it), and I had an emotional response to it for a lot of different reasons. Ann Voskamp featured it, also, on her Only the Good Stuff: Multivitamins for Your Weekend Saturday post.  If you haven't seen it, it's one of  Colbie Calliet's videos from her new album:
 
 
 
See what I mean?!  It got to me.  I was thinking about how much pressure we are all under, and not just girls/women, but everyone, and how God did not intend for us to put so much focus on the external - whether it be beauty, youth, thinness, wealth, success, power, perfection, performance, etc.  We're exhausting ourselves.  We don't have to try so hard.  That's not to say we shouldn't be passionate, involved, compassionate, etc., but that comes from somewhere else.  That can be spirit-driven.  We need to focus on things that are eternal, not external, and that can be so hard.  So, today, I'm asking that we think about BEAUTY.  What is beautiful to you that would please God?  How can we focus more on those things?  As always, if you are led to think/write about something else, please do! I loved this quote, too, by Anne Lamott and shared by Lester Laminack on Facebook:
 
 
 
Today, I am joining my mom on her 70th birthday (for those of you who read my blog, you saw that she joined us in Las Vegas to celebrate her birthday just a couple weeks ago - today is her actual birthday!) with the Cuties, the name her friends of 40+ years have dubbed themselves, and yes, they are cuties, not just outward, but inward.   Happy birthday, Mom!  I am blessed to have you as a mother and friend.  We'll be  meeting for lunch.  I know I will be surrounded by beauty - her friends are the epitome of faith, fun, life, and joy discussions will be rich in content. Here is a recent photo of them on one of their trips (my mom is second from the right):
 
 
One more note - my daughter, Katie, and I will be leaving next week (July 24th) with six other church members for a mission trip to Czech Republic to teach English camp, so I will not be posting a Spiritual Journey Thursday link-up post again until August 7th.  I know I will have lots to write about then!  Please keep us in your prayers.  Until then...
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I loved that video and shared it with several people. It was so powerful. Happy Birthday to your mom and safe travels on your mission trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this wonderful reminder about beauty, and the relentless pursuit we humans are in to achieve the appearance of it. I wish you all the best on your upcoming missions trip, and look forward to hearing all about how God moves in you and through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post as well as great reminders. I pray your mission trip is safe and fulfills all of your desires especially that of giving to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Holly!I'm sorry mine did not get written today, but here is a link for my daughter's post who is on a mission trip in Rome right now. Wishing you and your daughter a safe trip with many blessing. I look forward to reading more when you come back!
    http://brokenandbeautifulsoul.blogspot.com/2014/07/dreams-in-rome.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, I struggled when I first read your post. I've had a life long battle with weight and I didn't know if I had it in me to write about it again...but with a bit of reflection, I realized that's not my primary battle right now...it's with perfection and performance. So I took the day off. I'm back and writing my post now. It will be here soon. Thank you for the nudge. I don't know if you realize, but your post helped me A LOT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too good to join our loved ones in these occasions because it matters most to them. assignment writing help company Because it is a sign the person means to you something. Love is getting more powerful when you meet each other on the occasion.

    ReplyDelete