Sunday, December 29, 2013

My Reading Life in 2013

It's not the last day of the year, but since I have Monday and Tuesday's posts slotted for something else, I'm going to take today to review my year in books.  I also reached my Goodreads goal this weekend, so I thought it was a good time to reflect.  Thanks goes to all the Twitter, blog, and Facebook friends that read as much or more than I do and provide a place to share books.  Thank you to my family who reads and likes to talk about books.  I love my book club who keeps me reading adult books when I could completely immerse myself in children's literature.  Thank you to those authors and illustrators who create the most amazing books - more than I could ever read in a year.  Most of all, though, the people who keep me reading the volume I read so I can "talk books" with them is my students.  They are the inspiration to read, read, and read.

- As of today, I read 301 books (my goal was 300).  This was 53 books above what I read last year.  Before you think that's a lot of books, consider Colby Sharp, who read 1007!!  This is the breakdown of what I read (as close as I can get since sometimes I forget to categorize something):

- 16 adult fiction titles (5%), 5 of which were audio.  These are mostly books I read for my book club.  It's a good thing I have to read adult titles for it!  Favorites published in 2013:

And the Mountains Echoed  Whistling Past the Graveyard 
 
- 7 adult nonfiction titles (2%) , 2 of which were audio. Favorite published in 2013:

The End of Your Life Book Club

- 34 young adult fiction titles (11%), 16 of which were audio.  Favorites published in 2013:

Eleanor & Park  Going Vintage Champion (Legend, #3)
 
- 51 middle grade fiction titles (17%), 17 of which were audio. Favorites published in 2013:

                                                                               Mine                                                                  
        Counting by 7s    Every Day After     Beholding Bee  
Mock Newbery Club             Favorite Read Aloud
  A Tangle of Knots                      Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin

- 16 middle grade and young adult nonfiction (5%). Favorite published in 2013:

Courage Has No Color: The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers

- 83 fiction picture books (28%).  Favorites published in 2013:

Mr. Tiger Goes Wild Journey Flora and the Flamingo Hank Finds an Egg The Story of Fish and Snail The Day the Crayons Quit

- 50 nonfiction picture books (17%). Favorites published in 2013:

Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard Locomotive Paul Thurlby's Wildlife Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909 On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest--and Most Surprising--Animals on Earth

- 17 graphic novels (6%). Favorites published in 2013:

 The Great American Dust Bowl Bluffton

- 23 poetry books/novels in verse (8%). Favorites published in 2013:

Dog Songs God Got a Dog Salt: A Story of Friendship in a Time of War

- 4 professional teaching books (1%).  Favorite published in 2013:



When I compare my reading  to last year, I love that I've increased my  graphic novel and nonfiction reading, which were my reading gaps in 2012.  Thanks to Alyson Beecher and her 2013 Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge, I met and exceeded my number goals for children's nonfiction by 31 books! I increased my graphic novels books by 14.  I did NOT meet my number goals in professional teaching books and adult titles and actually decreased those numbers..  I also have a gap in poetry even though I increased that by 11 books over 2012.

Goals for 2014:
- Keep Goodreads goal to 300 books.  This number was perfect for me.  It kept me challenged but didn't stress me out. 
- My reading gaps this year are adult fiction/nonfiction, middle grade/young adult nonfiction, poetry, and professional teaching books.  I'd like to step those up this year. 

I'd love to hear your 2013 reading reflections, favorite lists, and goals for 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment