Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday, Picture Book Month, and Mock Caldecott 2014 Club

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more children's nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.
 
 
I loved the nonfiction book I read this week!
 
Randolph Caldecott: The Man Who Could Not Stop Drawing
 
 
 
 
I was fascinated by this book about Randolph Caldecott. Since we're celebrating the 75th anniversary of the medal and November is Picture Book Month, it's the perfect time to read about him. I love the many illustrations included by Caldecott, his story of fulfilling his life's dream, and the design of this book. I was also interested in the people with whom he rubbed shoulders and inspired: John Tenniel (illustrator of Lewis Carroll's Alice), George du Maurier, George Eliot, and Beatrix Potter. We also learn about the evolution of the picture book and inner workings of this famous man. I'd love to share this book with my class as an introduction to Picture Book Month and our Mock Caldecott Club in which we will celebrate 2013's picture books. I can't wait to see which book my class will favor as the winner of the 2014 Caldecott Award.

I would love to see The ABC of It: Why Picture Books Matter!
 
 
 

 
Here are some books I'll share and have the kids review in my classroom in November for our Mock Caldecott 2014 Club:
 
Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909 Flora and the Flamingo
 
Tea Rex Bluebird
 
Nelson Mandela Paul Thurlby's Wildlife
 
The Boy and the Airplane The Matchbox Diary
 
The Mighty Lalouche The Story of Fish and Snail
 
Inside Outside Carnivores
 
This Is the Rope: A Story From the Great Migration Little Red Writing
 
Hello, My Name Is Ruby Building Our House
 
Mr. Tiger Goes Wild Tea Party Rules
 
Ribbit! Once Upon a Northern Night
 
 
Something Big Oliver and his Alligator
 
Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great Hank Finds an Egg
 
Something to Prove: The Great Satchel Paige vs. Rookie Joe Dimaggio The Longest Night: A Passover Story
 
Crankee Doodle On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein
 
If You Want to See a Whale A Splash of Red: The Life and Art of Horace Pippin
 
 
 Open This Little Book Exclamation Mark
 
Journey
 
Did I leave any of your favorites out?  I can't wait for Picture Book Month!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment