Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more children's nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.
 
 
This week I listened to The Notorious Benedict Arnold by Steve Sheinkin, read by Mark Bramhall.
 
Sheinkin sure can tell a story! Benedict Arnold was a man of dichotomies, and I enjoyed hearing about his accomplishments as well as his failures. He was a terrible politician and met with lots of opposition among the colonial elite, but he was also a war hero, credited by some as one of the reasons we won the American Revolution. Unfortunately, he was ultimately interested in his ego, and when he lost his money and his pride, he decided to gain them both back by spying for England. History buffs will love this book, and anyone who loves narrative nonfiction will be captivated!  When Mom and I visited Parnassus Book Sellers in Nashville over the weekend, I bought a copy for my classroom library.
 
I also loved Sheinkin's multi-award winner, Bomb:
 


 
 
 




 
What nonfiction are YOU reading this week?

4 comments:

  1. Holly - Thanks for introducing me to this great author! I was not familiar with his work but enjoyed the clip you included about him talking about his writing. I connected to his comments about loving history but hating his textbooks! Being a Canadian, I may not be able to use his books to support my SS class, but would definitely use them as anchor books for nonfiction writing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I just visited your blog post today, and you wrote about a NF author new to me! Yay - don't you love learning new authors?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly, I teach the American Revolution and would love to read this book. I 'll be on the lookout. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly - Sheinkin's work is amazing. Thanks for sharing it with everyone and for linking up.

    ReplyDelete