Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday!

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.


 
This week's nonfiction included:
 
Looking at Lincoln
 
 
 
 
A little girl (who reminds me of Madeleine) sees a very tall man while walking through the park one day who reminds her of Abraham Lincoln. That inspires her to learn more about him, so she goes to the library. The story then segues into facts about Lincoln's life. I think kids will like how biographical information is woven into a fictional story. I enjoyed the illustrations- they remind me of a whimsical version of Paul Gauguin's impressionism.

 
America the Beautiful: Presidential Quotations and National Symbols, Illustrated by 10 American Artists

America the Beautiful: Together We Stand by Katharine Lee Bates

2013-book, compare-contrast, history, nonfiction, nonfiction-challenge-2013, patriotic, picture-book, poetry, quotes, social-studies-connections, song

This is a beautiful book highlighting Katharine Lee Bates's poem "America the Beautiful," presidential quotes, and artwork by ten amazing illustrators. I love how each illustrator captures a different mood and theme of what America is, inspired by the quote. A fun classroom activity would be to compare and contrast the artists' styles.
 
A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
 
 
 
 
 
I've always enjoyed William Carlos Williams's poetry, and I love Melissa Sweet's work, so this biography by Jen  Bryant is a great combination of creativity! I've loved "The Red Wheelbarrow" ever since I read Love That Dog by Sharon Creech! Kids will be inspired to follow their own paths after reading about the evolution of his poetry, making his style his own. It's amazing that Williams was also a doctor.
 
What nonfiction are YOU reading this week?
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I have read all of these and love them. Thanks for participating in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete