Thursday, January 28, 2016

Spiritual Journey Thursday - SELAH

 I look forward to Thursdays when I can publish thoughts on my spiritual journey and hear the thoughts of others on a weekly basis.  It has become a space for an encouraging and fortifying community to come together.  We welcome anyone who would like to join us!
For the next couple of months, we are writing about each other's One Little Words.  Please join us!  If you have a One Little Word this year and would like to explore the spiritual aspect of it, let me know, and I will add you to the schedule!  Today's OLW is Michelle Haseltine's word, SELAH.
 
 
 
      I wish I would stop and listen more.  I would feel so much better!  I tend to talk too much.  Say too much.  I need to just be quiet.  There are SO many verses in the Bible that advise us to be quiet, listen, take counsel, don't be foolish with words. 
 
For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, “In returning (repentance) and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.” Isaiah 30:15
 
     I wonder what would happen if I paused more - waited to speak.  Listened to the music around me. Listened more to my students.  My friends.  My family.  God.  Nature.  Stepped away from being busy, busy, busy.  Reflected upon the important things.  Time is going so fast.  Thank you, Michelle, for choosing a somewhat mysterious word.  A beautiful word.  Pause.  Reflect.  Stop.  Listen.
 
     Did you know there is a Christian band called Selah?  Perfect band name, perfect song to remember to slow down and appreciate what God has given us.  I have two children, one married and another in college, so I can totally relate to these lyrics; but even if you don't have kids, you know time flies.  Don't let it go by - so many moments in this life are Heaven on Earth. "I'm down on my knees; help me soak it all in.  I want all of this life that you let me live, and when time flies by, Lord remind me to breathe, because my Heaven on Earth is moments like these..."


 
     Each week we'll each write about the spiritual aspects of the word that is scheduled, and the person who has claimed that word will write about it as well.  When my post is published that morning, link up!  Let's see what we learn and discover! (If you would like to be added to the schedule, just let me know in the comments!)
 
January 14: Carol Varsalona - BELIEVE
January 21:  Margaret Simon - PRESENT
January 28:  Michelle Haseltine - SELAH
February 4:  Justin Stygles - (Blind) FAITH
February 11: Leigh Ann Eck - INTENT
February 18:  Irene Latham - DELIGHT
February 25:  Violet Nesdoly - MINDFULNESS
March 3:  Julieanne Harmatz - ADMIRE
March 10:  Holly Mueller - WAIT
March 17:  Linda Kulp - SIMPLIFY
March 24: Doraine Bennett - SHINE
March 31: Donna Smith - BOLD

 
 
 


11 comments:

  1. Holly, Thank you for hosting this! I love seeing what others think of my one little word. I love your initial reaction to my word. I get this a lot. I also love how you focus on the listen part. I believe I'll get to that part of it. Right now, I'm on the PAUSE part. Thank you for your thoughtful reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the praise band as well and included a video. I have to work on the listen part. Last night my daughter was telling me a story, and I only half listened and then asked a question that absolutely revealed my error. She said, "You never listen." Ah, stab. It is so true that we are often tuning out our closest people. I was probably writing my post. Ironic. Thanks again for this space for thinking, pausing on our OLWs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this word. A great choice, Michelle. I have a friend whose yoga studio is called Selah. Thanks for hosting this lovely means of reflection, Holly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, I admit that I had a similar reaction to Michelle's word as yours but I am so glad that she opened my eyes to what Selah can hold for me. Pause and reflect is a beautiful mantra. I believe that if I could be more in the moment, I could find a a deeper level of reflection. Have a wonderful day reading all the posts that will surely broaden our perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, again and again, Holly, for facilitating and for leading. I see now that I totally mis-remembered the meaning of Selah! Thanks to your beautiful, full exposition, I think I won't forget again. I probably forgot in the first place because I looked too fast, moved on too quickly to the next thing--missed out assimilating that word into my being and Faith experiences, just as in all the reasons you offered. God bless you, and thank you! S - e - l - a - h

    ReplyDelete
  6. One year my OLW was "listen." Something I love about meditation is that it teaches you to listen to your body. If we can listen on that level, nurture ourselves with that kind of attention, how might we change the world? I also found the band Selah in my Google search. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes my reaction to Selah was puzzlement too, but then delight as I realized I wasn't held in by a strict definition. Lovely word, Michelle. I enjoyed moodling on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Selah is a lovely word. I learned a lot about this little word when I Googled it. I'm really enjoying reading all the Spiritual blogs every Thursday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for hosting this, Holly. And thank you, Margaret and Carol, for suggesting that I come check out your group. I don't know that I did Selah the justice it deserves, but it's a start. I'm enjoying the pause and reflection this brings to my Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful word. It really spoke to me. Thanks for hosting again. I see new people joining us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS: everyone can link up with Literacy Musing Mondays as well. I think other people will want to join in each week. http://maryanderingcreatively.com/free-book-resources-for-bloggers/

    ReplyDelete