Thursday, January 14, 2016

Spiritual Journey Thursday - BELIEVE

 I look forward to Thursdays when I can publish thoughts on my spiritual journey and hear the thoughts of others on a weekly basis.  It has become a space for an encouraging and fortifying community to come together.  We welcome anyone who would like to join us!
For the next couple of months, we are writing about each other's One Little Words.  Please join us!  If you have a One Little Word this year and would like to explore the spiritual aspect of it, let me know, and I will add you to the schedule!  Today's OLW is Carol Varsalona's word, BELIEVE.
John 6:35 - And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
I was raised in the church.  I went to the Presbyterian church in my hometown throughout my childhood and as far back as I can remember. I even won a perfect attendance award for Sunday school at some point in time (thanks to my parents).  There was never a time when I can't remember believing there was a God.  That doesn't mean I never went through periods of doubt or drought in my faith - I definitely did.  I didn't go to church for most of my teen years, and I didn't go when I was in my early college years.  There were also periods in my adult years when my spiritual practices ebbed and flowed.  But I always believed.  I'm not entirely sure why that is.  I do think Proverbs 22:6, "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it" has a lot to do with it, but I'm sure there are other factors, like personality, experiences, cultural circumstances, and who knows what else.
If I had to choose a single moment, though, when my belief was solidified, it was in my mid-twenties when I read More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell.   His writing and arguments validated what I already believed, but I needed more evidence in order to seal the deal. 

Believing to me means that  you truly have faith that God will work out everything for good.  It doesn't mean that bad things won't happen.  It doesn't mean that everything makes sense.  It means that there is a higher power.  SomeONE who knows better than I.  Even when things look really messy and nonsensical, that there is someone in control, and some day, we will know what it all means.  In the meantime, I will BELIEVE.

Each week we'll each write about the spiritual aspects of the word that is scheduled, and the person who has claimed that word will write about it as well.  When my post is published that morning, link up!  Let's see what we learn and discover! (If you would like to be added to the schedule, just let me know in the comments!)
January 14: Carol Varsalona - BELIEVE
January 21:  Margaret Simon - PRESENT
January 28:  Michelle Haseltine - SELAH
February 4:  Justin Stygles - (Blind) FAITH
February 11: Leigh Ann Eck - INTENT
February 18:  Irene Latham - DELIGHT
February 25:  Violet Nesdoly - MINDFULNESS
March 3:  Julieanne Harmatz - ADMIRE
March 10:  Holly Mueller - WAIT
March 17:  Linda Kulp - SIMPLIFY

11 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE the quote and the song you shared!! I'd forgotten about that song by the Newsboys. I really enjoyed hearing about your journey, Holly! So glad to be back after a long absence. Thank you for continuing to extend the invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued thanks for hosting SJT, and for starting off the day with a reflective piece that invites and sets the tone. Thank you, too, for always embedding compelling videos and visuals (something I just don't do). As I believe, like you, in the vertical beam of the Cross that expresses faith in God, on the horizontal beam of the Cross, I believe that you, and SJT are a gift from God! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, I am particularly drawn to these lines: "It means that there is a higher power. SomeONE who knows better than I." I am not religious, don't attend church, but what feeds my spirituality is this belief that *I* am not God; there is something greater than me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, I am particularly drawn to these lines: "It means that there is a higher power. SomeONE who knows better than I." I am not religious, don't attend church, but what feeds my spirituality is this belief that *I* am not God; there is something greater than me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, waking up to a group of blogs about my one word, believe, seems like a wonderful way to meditate on the pure power of faith. Newsboys' song is an amazing affirmation that "believe" is a strong verb to transform my days. There is so much angst in the world that doubt can and does seep in but the foundation of faith allows for a renewal in the belief that there is a plan-God's plan to guide us. Thanks for featuring my one word today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed reading about your journey of belief, Holly. My journey is not unlike yours, in that I've lived times when I turned my back on the beliefs taught by parents and church. But the deep underlying conviction that there had to be more than just my flimsy self always drew me back to search for bedrock realities.

    And thanks for setting us on this leg of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always comforting when I read that others have what you called "doubt or drought in my faith." I too, have always believed and like you said, I don't know why. What I do know is that I keep on walking...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember a time when I didn't believe. I was raised in a religious household which became my stronghold. And yes, bad things still happen, but time and again I see those who walk with faith pull through with more strength, more belief. Keep on believing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got caught up on reading everyone's posts, and I needed to make another comment. The new writers in this group are a wonderfully phenomenal addition. I have truly missed writing about my journey and reading all of these only made it that much stronger. Thank you for the space and the believers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holly, I loved reading about your journey. I don't attend church on a weekly basis, but I have ALWAYS believed in God. Ever since I can remember, I've prayed before I fall asleep at night. It gives me comfort to know SomeONE greater than me has a plan. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading more about your journey. Loved the last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete