Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Nonfiction Wednesday

Thanks to Kid Lit Frenzy, I made a goal to read more children's nonfiction this year which I will be featuring on my blog every Wednesday.
 
 
I took a Choice Literacy course recently, taught by Franki Sibberson, and she recommended the Scientists in the Field series when looking for books to bump up our nonfiction teaching with Common Core.  I have several of them already in my classroom library.  Here are the ones I've read and reviewed on Goodreads:
 
Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
 
I think people who devote their lives researching, studying, rescuing, and just loving animals are fascinating. This book is about a team of people who are devoted to saving the critically endangered Kakapo Parrots who live on the remote Codfish Island off the southern coast of New Zealand. Only 91 parrots remain. The photographs are beautiful, and although there are plenty of nonfiction merits to the text, Sy Montgomery also captures the emotion and drama of the ups and downs of animal rescue. 
 
             The Elephant Scientist
 
  
This book contains a wealth of information about elephants. I like the fact that it was written because of a problem Caitlin O'Connell was hired to solve. It's a great text to have in the gifted classroom because O'Connell is a terrific role model for girls with curious, scientific minds. Amazing photographs!
 
The Hive Detectives: Chronicle of a Honey Bee Catastrophe
 
This great book was full of information about bees and their mysterious disappearance in 2006. It was fascinating to learn about bees, beekeeping, and the scientists who are trying to figure out why so many bees died off. Lots of interesting text features and high-interest photographs! Kids will love it! 
 
The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
 
This is in my library, but I haven't read it yet.  Several of my students enjoyed it, though!
 
After Franki's reminder, I purchased a couple more:
 
 Gorilla Doctors: Saving Endangered Great Apes (Scientists in the Field Series)
 
The Tarantula Scientist
 
Stay tuned for future reviews on these books!  All these books share similar characteristics:  stunning photographs, problem-solving techniques, high interest nonfiction text features, and role models in the field of science.  Make sure you check out the resources on the website.  I also came across this You Tube video of the series' enhanced e-books.
 
 
What nonfiction are YOU reading this week?
 

4 comments:

  1. A great selection Holly Thank you! I am interested in The Hive Detectives. Just listened to a fascinating show on the radio while cleaning in my classroom about beekeeping and things that threaten bees in North America. Such a worrisome topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend The Hive Detectives. You'll learn a lot!

      Delete
  2. These are great books. Thanks for sharing them with everyone. :-)

    ReplyDelete